Monday, July 2, 2012

Recipe Review: Bacon Egg and Leek Risotto

One good thing about my gallbladder problems has been the need to switch up our eating. Gone is the beef, most baked goods, most pork, and a lot of the cheese.

This is the healthiest we've eaten in a long time. So I'm bringing back my recipe posts because I've found lot of yummy things. 


First up is Smitten Kitchen's Bacon Egg and Leek Risotto




This is delicious. We'd been enjoying Real Simple's Spaghetti with Bacon and Eggs for a long time now, but the risotto is much more of a filling and grown up meal. 


I'll admit...I was a little worried to make this dish. Part of my post-gallbladder life is having the potential for digestive issues. But, so far this recipe sat just fine. 


Really it wasn't difficult to make either. Just a bit time consuming. Much better on Sunday evening, than a week night. You saute the bacon and leeks, then set aside. But you cook the risotto in the bacon fat so the flavor gets incorporated. 


To make it a little lower in fat I did use low fat bacon. I looked at every single bacon package trying to find a good one. I have to say that I didn't taste a difference. Plus the recipe only calls for 4 pieces, so each serving only has about 1 piece of bacon. 


I did not add olive oil. The bacon fat was plenty. 


I also did not add a full cup of Parmesan. Only used about 1/2 cup and I didn't notice a difference in the flavor. 


I think the hardest thing is not going back for seconds. I'm trying to resist going back for more. Its so easy to end up eating way too much. 

Here's a new Lucy photo. Looks like she'll be a fruit lover like her Dad.


No comments:

Post a Comment